ANNAPOLIS- Maryland Young Republicans Chairman Brian Griffiths issued the following statement today on Governor O’Malley’s remarks to the Democratic National Convention.
“We are twenty-four hours removed from Governor Martin O’Malley’s remarks at the Democratic National Convention last night. Governor O’Malley’s remarks were as embarrassing as they were shameful, indicative of a politician who is more concerned with hamming for the camera and keeping up appearances than being a thoughtful leader who puts has the best interests of his constituents in mind.
- According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data Maryland has lost 7,000 jobs since January 2012.
- According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data Maryland lost 36,200 jobs Since O’Malley took office.
- According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data Maryland unemployment up from 3.6% to 7% since O’Malley took office.
- Maryland was dead last in job creation in 2010.
- Obama’s plan to raise taxes will cost Maryland 13,800 jobs and $4 billion in economic output
- According to non-partisan Maryland Dept. of Legislative Services, O’Malley raised taxes over $3.6 billion in his first term alone-not counting recent tax hikes on working families
- Governor O’Malley’s budgets have grown by 23% since he first took office. 2007-$28.8 billion, 2013-$35.5 billion
- Governor O’Malley fairs poorly among his fellow Democratic governors on business climate, tax climate and corruption.
- Maryland FY 2011-2013 general spending increased 15%–highest in the region
- As a percentage of state GDP, Maryland’s unfunded pension liability combined with other debt is 9.6% much higher than neighboring states.
- Maryland’s pension system is only 64% funded.
- Maryland is on Moody’s downgrade watch list.
- Maryland schools ranked #1 by EdWeek but same report ranks Maryland dead last in Poverty Gap for 8th grade math, 22nd for high school graduation.
- MD Higher Education Commission found that 61% of MD high school graduates in MD community colleges, who took college-prep track, needed remedial math and English instruction. Fifteen percent attending four-year colleges needed remedial math and English instruction. Cost to taxpayers: $90 million
- Maryland ranks 42nd in Tax Foundation’s Business Tax Climate.
- As Mayor of Baltimore, Governor O’Malley instituted zero tolerance policy of mass arrests with out probable cause.
- As Mayor of Baltimore, O’Malley likened George W. Bush policies to that of 9/11 attacks
“It is no surprise that as he continues his campaign for the Democratic nomination for President in 2016 that Governor O’Malley wishes to avoid talking about his consistent record of failure here in the state of Maryland.”